POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Bagatelle type board - Rune's Particles : Re: general encoding advices Server Time
2 May 2024 03:30:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: general encoding advices
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 8 Sep 2003 06:53:56
Message: <3f5c5fc4$1@news.povray.org>
Nice animation. I use VirtualDub too. These are my suggestions:

Anti-alias but without jittering.
If you use area_lights, then without jittering.
No strong color contrasts (will look bad, but filesize stays the same)
No fine details that are almost like noise, if the camera is moving.
Smooth movements.

Most mpeg codecs will do good when the above advices are followed. Standard
for this newsgroup is mpeg1 (not possible to encode with VirtualDub).
Otherwise DivX4 / DivX5 (they are actually mpeg4). Good framerates are 25.0
or 30.0 for smooth movements on most computers. Using more frames may
actually end up using less space because movements between each frame is
reduced. So a 15 fps animation may be larger than a 25 fps.

Motion-blur helps reduce filesizes as well, and often looks great, unless
overdone. But that's another story.

Regards,
Hugo